J.T. MOORE ATHLETICS
Athletics can be a highly positive experience for middle schoolers. As part of a well-rounded education, athletics provide opportunities for students to learn how to value physical education, work on a team, follow the leadership of a coach, and take on leadership roles themselves. There are ample options for students to become involved in the sport of their choice. Below is information your family will need to know if your child is planning on participating in our sports program this year. Students in 6th-8th grades may try out for official sports teams, and in order to try out, students must first bring the following to the relevant coach: 1. Athletic Physical (current as of June 1, 2018) 2. Parent Consent Form 3. Proof of Health Insurance 4. Concussion Consent Form 5. Sudden Cardiac Arrest form 6. Emergency Card These forms can be obtained from the office, through the coaches or on the web site HERE. To reach a coach, please email him or her at the addresses listed. You may also direct questions to Dr. Gary Hughes, executive principal at JTM and president of the MNPS Middle School Athletics organization.
ATHLETIC CLUB AND RECREATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES
In addition to “try out” school sports, we have a number of club sports that impart the same benefits as official school sports and also are open to 5th graders. These sports are managed by parents and teachers, who determine and communicate practice schedules, fees, and other details. Our club sports for 2019-20 include the following:
Cross Country: The Cross Country Team is open to students from 5th-8th grades. Race distances are 1-mile for 5th graders and 2-miles for 6-8th grades. No experience is necessary. Not sure if your child is interested? Have them join practice for a few weeks before registering. Registration is $60 through www.nashvilleyouthathletics.org and required in order to participate in the 6 races which includes a Regional Championship and a State Meet Qualifier. If you require financial assistance, please contact JTMXC@yahoo.com. Registration closes in September. Practices will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4-5:30 beginning Thursday, August 20th at JT Moore. The team will also have optional runs on Sundays at 2:00 at the Vaughn’s Gap Cross Country course near the corner of Hwy 100 and Old Hickory Blvd starting on August 11th. Contact coaches Kristin Willocks (615-579-4916) or Myr Wilson (615-497-1072) or JTMXC@yahoo.com with any questions or concerns.
Boys Lacrosse: The JTM Lacrosse team will play its 14th season in the spring of 2020. We also get together in the fall with a few practices, clinics and games to shake off the summer cobwebs. Official team practice begins in late January, and the game season runs from the end of February through the first week of May. Boys in all grades 5-8 are welcome to play. For more information and to join the mailing list, send an email to JTMLax@gmail.com. Mollie Henry (firstname.lastname@example.org) is the parent representative.
Girls and Boys Golf Team: Our golf team practices and plays in the spring but WE NEED A COACH. If you are interested, please contact Tom Steffen at email@example.com
Swimming: After great success last year, JT Moore will have a swim team again in 2019-2020! Contact Catherine Teasley at firstname.lastname@example.org
And finally, there are many teams of JTM kids that form to participate in recreational leagues, such as WNSL. Keep your ears and eyes open for these in your circle of friends and in Moore News to Know. Better yet, if you want to form a team, let us know and we will help you promote it!
JT Moore Athletic Directors – Todd Henderson & Miranda Davidson
- Football – Gregg Wigginton, coach email@example.com
- Girls’ Soccer – Scott Putney, coach firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cheerleading – Hallie Jarrell, coach email@example.com
- Girls’ Volleyball – Dorothy Kurzrock, coach firstname.lastname@example.org
- (5) Cross Country – Kristin Willocks, parent coordinator JTMXC@yahoo.com
- (5) Lacrosse – Mollie Henry, coordinator JTMLAX@gmail.com
- Track – Penny Howard, coach email@example.com
- Baseball – Connor Siegel, coach firstname.lastname@example.org
- (5) Golf – COACH NEEDED! please contact email@example.com
- Boys’ Soccer – Thaddeus Bryant, coach firstname.lastname@example.org
- Softball – Kris Lott, coordinator email@example.com
How Can You Help with Matador Athletics?
1. Sign up for a Concessions/Ticket Sales shift for our home athletic events. Parents and students are invited to help throughout the school year, and students can earn IB hours for this service. Most shifts last between 2-3 hours. 2. Donate to a sports team. Teams are funded by MNPS so inherently funds are limited. Talk to your student’s coach about how you can support their team directly. 3. Attend events! The Matadors are an athletic powerhouse. Whether it be our perennial city championship volleyball team or the finely tuned Matador wrestling machine, we show up to win. And we love our fans! Come and cheer us on!