J.T. MOORE ATHLETICS
MNPS hasn’t decided as to when Middle School Athletics will resume. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to our Athletic Director, Zac Smith.
Athletics can be a highly positive experience for middle schoolers. As part of a well-rounded education, athletics provide opportunities for students to learn how to value physical education, work on a team, follow the leadership of a coach, and take on leadership roles themselves. There are ample options for students to become involved in the sport of their choice.
ATHLETIC CLUB AND RECREATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES
In addition to “try out” school sports, we have a number of club sports that impart the same benefits as official school sports and also are open to 5th graders. These sports are managed by parents and teachers, who determine and communicate practice schedules, fees, and other details. Our club sports for 2020-2021 include the following:
Cross Country: The Cross Country Team is open to students from 5th-8th grades. Race distances are 1-mile for 5th graders and 2-miles for 6-8th grades. No experience is necessary. Not sure if your child is interested? Have them join practice for a few weeks before registering. Registration is $60 through www.nashvilleyouthathletics.org and required in order to participate in the 6 races which includes a Regional Championship and a State Meet Qualifier. If you require financial assistance, please contact JTMXC@yahoo.com. Registration closes in September. Practices will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4-5:30 beginning Thursday, August 20th at JT Moore. The team will also have optional runs on Sundays at 2:00 at the Vaughn’s Gap Cross Country course near the corner of Hwy 100 and Old Hickory Blvd starting on August 11th. Contact coaches Kristin Willocks (615-579-4916) or Myr Wilson (615-497-1072) or JTMXC@yahoo.com with any questions or concerns.
Boys Lacrosse: The JTM Lacrosse team will play its 15th season in the spring of 2021. We also get together in the fall with a few practices, clinics and games to shake off the summer cobwebs. Official team practice begins in late January, and the game season runs from the end of February through the first week of May. Boys in all grades 5-8 are welcome to play. For more information and to join the mailing list, send an email to JTMLax@gmail.com. Maggie Jackson (email@example.com) is the parent representative.
Girls and Boys Golf Team: Due to MNPS and the Metro Dept. of Health, the 2020 Golf season has been postponed. Stay tuned for more information on the 2021 Golf Season. If you have any questions, please contact Zac Smith, the JT Moore Athletic Director.
Swimming: After great success last year, JT Moore will have a swim team again in 2020-2021! Contact Catherine Teasley at firstname.lastname@example.org
And finally, there are many teams of JTM kids that form to participate in recreational leagues, such as WNSL. Keep your ears and eyes open for these in your circle of friends and in Moore News to Know. Better yet, if you want to form a team, let us know and we will help you promote it!
JT Moore Athletic Director – Zac Smith
- Football – Gregg Wigginton, coach email@example.com
- Girls’ Soccer – Scott Putney, coach firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cheerleading – Hallie Jarrell, coach email@example.com
- Girls’ Volleyball – Dorothy Kurzrock, coach firstname.lastname@example.org
- (5) Cross Country – Kristin Willocks, parent coordinator JTMXC@yahoo.com
How Can You Help with Matador Athletics?
1. Sign up for a Concessions/Ticket Sales shift for our home athletic events. Parents and students are invited to help throughout the school year, and students can earn IB hours for this service. Most shifts last between 2-3 hours. 2. Donate to a sports team. Teams are funded by MNPS so inherently funds are limited. Talk to your student’s coach about how you can support their team directly. 3. Attend events! The Matadors are an athletic powerhouse. Whether it be our perennial city championship volleyball team or the finely tuned Matador wrestling machine, we show up to win. And we love our fans! Come and cheer us on!