J.T. MOORE ATHLETICS
Athletics can be a highly positive experience for middle schoolers. As part of a well-rounded education, athletics provide opportunities for students to learn how to value physical education, work on a team, follow the leadership of a coach, and take on leadership roles themselves. There are ample options for students to become involved in the sport of their choice.
Below is information your family will need to know if your child is planning on participating in our sports program this year.
Students in 6th-8th grades may try out for official sports teams, and in order to try out, students must first bring the following to the relevant coach:
1. Athletic Physical (current as of June 1, 2018)
2. Parent Consent Form
3. Proof of Health Insurance
4. Concussion Consent Form
5. Sudden Cardiac Arrest form
6. Emergency Card
These forms can be obtained from the office, through the coaches or on the web site HERE.
To reach a coach, please email him or her at the addresses listed. You may also direct questions to Dr. Gary Hughes, executive principal at JTM and president of the MNPS Middle School Athletics organization.
ATHLETIC CLUB AND RECREATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES
In addition to “try out” school sports, we have a number of club sports that impart the same benefits as official school sports and also are open to 5th graders. These sports are managed by parents and teachers, who determine and communicate practice schedules, fees, and other details. Our club sports for 2018-2019 include the following:
Cross Country: The Cross Country Team is open to students from 5th-8th grades. Race distances are 1-mile for 5th graders and 2-miles for 6-8th grades. No experience is necessary. Not sure if your child is interested? Have them join practice for a few weeks before registering. A parent meeting is scheduled for August 19th at 2pm at the Vaughn’s Gap Cross Country course. A short run will follow – all are welcome to participate – bring water. Registration is $65 through www.nashvilleyouthathletics.org in order to participate in the 6 races which includes a Regional Championship and a State Meet Qualifier. If you require financial assistance, please contact JTMXC@yahoo.com. Registration closes in September. Practices will be on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4-5:30 beginning Thursday, August 23rd at JT Moore. The team will also have optional runs on Sundays at 2:00 at the Vaughn’s Gap Cross Country course near the corner of Hwy 100 and Old Hickory Blvd starting on August 12th. Families are welcome to walk/run the race course with their athlete. Contact coaches Kristin Willocks (615-579-4916) or Myr Wilson (615-497-1072) or JTMXC@yahoo.com with any questions or concerns.
Boys Lacrosse: The JTM Lacrosse team will play its 13th season in the spring of 2019. We also get together in the fall with a few practices, clinics and games to shake off the summer cobwebs. Official team practice begins in late January, and the game season runs from the end of February through the first week of May. Boys in all grades 5-8 are welcome to play. For more information and to join the mailing list, send an email to JTMLax@gmail.com. Eighth grade literacy teacher Alex Kameen (Edward.firstname.lastname@example.org) is the on-faculty coach, and Mollie Henry (email@example.com) is the parent representative.
Girls and Boys Golf Team: Coached by 7th Grade Social Studies Teacher Todd Henderson, our golf team practices and plays in the spring, following wrestling season. For more information, email Mr. Henderson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Swimming: JT Moore is starting a swim team this fall! Please mark your calendars for Monday, August 27th at 4:45. We will host an assessment and a parent meeting at the Maryland Farms YMCA . Swimmers – please bring goggles and a swim cap and wear a practice suit! Practices will be Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 4:45pm-5:45pm and Saturdays 12:30-1:30pm at the Maryland Farms YMCA. Swimmers must attend at least 2 practices per week. The annual cost to be on the team is $150 (payable to JT Moore which covers team shirt & cap, meet entries, and coach’s salary for doing meet entries & coaching the meets), and $65 per month payable to Maryland Farms YMCA for use of the pool for practices. The first practice will be August 27th or October 1st, depending on individual swimmers’ availability.
For more information, or to sign up to attend the August 27th practice and meeting, contact Catherine Teasley at email@example.com
And finally, there are many teams of JTM kids that form to participate in recreational leagues, such as WNSL. Keep your ears and eyes open for these in your circle of friends and in Moore News to Know. Better yet, if you want to form a team, let us know and we will help you promote it!
JT Moore Athletic Director – TBD
- Football – Gregg Wigginton, coach firstname.lastname@example.org
- Girls’ Soccer – Scott Putney, coach email@example.com
- Cheerleading – Abbey McDowd, coach firstname.lastname@example.org
- Girls’ Volleyball – Dorothy Kurzrock, coach email@example.com
- (5) Cross Country – Kristin Willocks, parent coordinator JTMXC@yahoo.com
- (5) Lacrosse – Ray Wagner, communications director JTMLAX@gmail.com
- Track – Penny Howard, coach firstname.lastname@example.org
- Baseball – Dan Parsons, coach email@example.com
- (5) Golf – Todd Henderson, coach firstname.lastname@example.org
- Boys’ Soccer – TBD, coach
- Softball – Kris Lott, coordinator email@example.com
How Can You Help with Matador Athletics?
1. Sign up for a Concessions/Ticket Sales shift for our home athletic events. Parents and students are invited to help throughout the school year, and students can earn IB hours for this service. Most shifts last between 2-3 hours. Look for a Sign Up Genius link in Moore News To Know in the coming weeks.
2. Donate to a sports team. Teams are funded by MNPS so inherently funds are limited. Talk to your student’s coach about how you can support their team directly.
3. Attend events! The Matadors are an athletic powerhouse. Whether it be our perennial city championship volleyball team or the finely tuned Matador wrestling machine, we show up to win. And we love our fans! Come and cheer us on!