News from Hughes – August 9, 2018
I hope that the start of the school year has been great for your student and family. The first week of the school year is almost under our belt!
I wanted to remind everyone of a few upcoming events.
- Monday, Dr. William Lawson, a physician and JT Moore parent, will provide free sports physicals for any 6th-8th grader who is trying out for volleyball, football, or girls soccer who has not had a new sports physical since June 1. A student may not tryout for one of these sports without being cleared by a physician via a sports physical. Students who do not have their physical and miss tryouts will not be eligible to participate. Parents must complete the parent sections of the physical form before Monday’s physicals are conducted. The majority of the packet is for parents. Forms can be picked up in the main office or downloaded at jtmoore.org under the forms section.
- Girls volleyball tryouts are Tuesday and Wednesday from 4-5:45. (6th-8th graders) – See Coach Kurzrock for more information.
- Football tryouts are Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday next week from 4-5:45. (6th-8th graders) – See Coach Wiggington or Coach Jawan Davis.
- Girls soccer tryouts are Wednesday and Thursday from 4-5:45. (6th-8th graders) – See Coach Putney
- Open house is Monday, August 20th, from 6 until 8. The evening will start off in the gym. You don’t want to miss the surprises that are in store. Please come and meet and hear from your child’s teachers, sign up for clubs, and hear about the exciting things that are happening this year at JT Moore Middle School. We will kick off our Invest in YOUR Child Campaign that night and we urgently need each of your support this year. Doors will open at 5:30. Come early. The gym is always packed and even wall spaces throughout the gym will fill up.
7th graders who have not turned in their updated immunization forms by the end of school on Monday will not be allowed to attend school until those have been turned in to Michelle Stapleton in the office. Absences accrued during this time will not be excused.
I wanted to reiterate that students are expected to be at school for the entire day and here on time. We have had parents try to check their children out early to avoid the car line. We have also had a couple of families who are not new to MNPS and JT Moore take family vacations instead of having their children at school. The State of Tennessee and MNPS has made it exceptionally clear that principals are to hold parents and students accountable for school attendance. Here is the link to the parent handbook and the MNPS policy from the parent handbook that parents must sign and return to the school.
SCHOOL ATTENDANCE & TRUANCY
I understand that my child is subject to compulsory school attendance laws and if my child is found to be unlawfully absent from school or habitually truant, law enforcement personnel may take my child into temporary custody and deliver him/her to the Metro Student Attendance Center (MSAC).
Please help your child learn MOORE by ensuring that your child is at school, rested, and prepared every day. School does matter. Learning matters.
I hope you all have a great weekend! As always, if you have any questions or if I can help in any way, please feel free to come and see me, email me, or call me. The school number is 615-298-8095 and my home number is 615-772-5354.
Dr. Gary D. Hughes