J.T. Moore Athletics
Athletics can be a highly positive experience for middle schoolers. As part of a well-rounded education, athletics provide opportunities for students to learn how to value physical education, work on a team, follow the leadership of a coach, and take on leadership roles themselves. There are ample options for students to become involved in the sport of their choice.
We wish to give a Matador welcome to Cecilia Adams, our new Athletics Director! She is new to J.T. Moore this year as a para-professional.
Below is information your family will need to know if your child is planning on participating in our sports program this year.
Students in 6th-8th grades may try out for official sports teams, and in order to try out, students must first bring the following to the relevant coach:
1. Athletic Physical (current as of June 1, 2017)
2. Parent Consent Form
3. Proof of Health Insurance
4. Concussion Consent Form
These forms can be obtained from the office, through the coaches or on the web site HERE.
To reach a coach, please email him or her at the addresses listed. You may also direct questions to Dr. Gary Hughes, executive principal and president of the MNPS Middle School Athletics organization.
Athletic Club and Recreational Opportunities
In addition to “try out” school sports, we have a number of club sports that impart the same benefits as official school sports and also are open to 5th graders. These sports are managed by parents and teachers, who determine and communicate practice schedules, fees, and other details. Our club sports for 2016-2017 include the following:
Cross Country: The Cross Country Team is open to students from 5th-8th grades. Race distances are 1-mile for 5th graders and 2-miles for 6-8th grades. No experience is necessary. Registration is $45 through www.nashvilleyouthathletics.org in order to participate in the 6 races which includes a Regional Championship and a State Meet Qualifier. Registration closes September 8. Practices will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4-5:30 beginning Thursday, August 17th at JT Moore. Beginning August 6th, the team will have optional runs on Sundays at 2:00 at the Vaughn’s Gap Cross Country course near the corner of Hwy 100 and Old Hickory Blvd. Families are welcome to walk/run the race course with their athlete. Contact coaches Kristin Willocks (615-579-4916) or Myr Wilson (615-497-1072) or JTMXC@yahoo.com with any questions or concerns.
Boys Lacrosse: The JTM Lacrosse team will play its 12th season in the spring of 2018. We also get together in the fall with a few practices, clinics and games to shake off the summer cobwebs. Official team practice begins in late January, and the game season runs from the end of February through the first week of May. Boys in all grades are welcomed to play. For more information and to join the mailing list, send an email to JTMLax@gmail.com. Eighth grade literacy teacher Alex Kameen (Edward.firstname.lastname@example.org) is the on-faculty coach, and Mollie Henry (email@example.com) is the parent representative.
Girls and Boys Golf Team: Coached by 7th Grade Social Studies Teacher Todd Henderson, our golf team practices and plays in the spring, following wrestling season. For more information, email Mr. Henderson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
And finally, there are many teams of JTM kids that form to participate in recreational leagues, such as WNSL. Keep your ears and eyes open for these in your circle of friends and in Moore News to Know. Better yet, if you want to form a team, let us know and we will help you promote it!
JT Moore Athletic Director – Cecilia Adams email@example.com
- Football – Gregg Wigginton, coach firstname.lastname@example.org
- Girls’ Soccer – Scott Putney, coach email@example.com
- Cheerleading – Abbey McDowd, coach! firstname.lastname@example.org
- Girls’ Volleyball – Dorothy Kurzrock, coach email@example.com
- (5) Cross Country – Kristin Willocks, parent coordinator JTMXC@yahoo.com
How can you help with Matador athletics?
1. Sign up for a Concessions/Ticket Sales shift for our home athletic events. Parents and students are invited to help throughout the school year, and students can earn IB hours for this service. Most shifts last between 2-3 hours. Look for a Sign Up Genius link in Moore News To Know in the coming weeks.
2. Join the ATHLETIC BOOSTER CLUB! A donation of $250 will give a family of 4 free admission to all home games of every sport, all year long! Look for more information about this soon or contact PTO co-President Robb Bigelow at firstname.lastname@example.org.